The relentless quest of a manageable, confident golf swing has me perplexed and frustrated right now (as well as pissed off). The one thing all passionate golfers have in common is the desire to constantly get better. Practice, unfortunately is not the key to unbridled success…..unless of course what you’re practicing contradicts the thing that forced you to practice in the first place. It seems that once you “fix” one part of your game, something else breaks. Last spring, without anything I consciously did, I became one with my game. Honestly I was hitting the ball 10% farther, while lowering my handicap to a six; it was heaven! My brush with golf greatness lasted until late June as my game turned ugly, resulting in my handicap soaring to a 9 (mathematically almost impossible to do in 4 months). A deep golf depression set in as I have yet to work it out.
Here is the current, maddening issue that I am desperately trying to repair.
- After completing a semi-hideous backswing, my right elbow detaches from my body, and points towards left field (classic chicken-wing), never to make contact with my right rib again.
- As I awkwardly return to the ball, my best fly fishing technique takes over and fractures every angle earned during the prior motion.
- The end result is a forced hand flip at the ball that miraculously gets the Pro V1 airborne.
- Distance and accuracy are obviously compromised, but it is the consistency that has me vexed.
I have searched for answers over the last 6 months. Here is what I have found:
- Most of the lessons/tips provided are difficult to understand. When you do understand the guidance, generally the “move” opposes something from an article from a prior magazine.
- Magazines shill for their advertisers – the equipment manufacturers. When they tell me that after a custom fitting, an 18 handicap can now hit his tee ball 30 yards further, I feel like vomiting.
- I own every golf training aid produced over the last 15 years (if you do not believe me check my basement).
- Some have merit…..most just become a short-term paycheck for a washed up tour player/swing guru.
- I do not remember one training aid having a profound impact on my game….not one?
Your PGA Professional
- How does the same swing issue result in differing root causes from 10 different instructors? I demonstrate the same unappealing swing to all of these guys, and each one tells me something different is wrong.
- Recently, I succumbed to a GolfTEC advertisement, and went in for a consultation ($99). The instructor was pleasant, candid and insightful –then the lesson ended and the sales pitch began. He told me that it would take “between 10 and 20 ½ hour lessons in order to fix my swing.” Of course those happened to be the premier instruction packages GolfTEC sells. After multiple calls, I purchased the 10 pack – I will let you know the results over the next two months.
- Yes, I will spend thousands on a game in disrepair. That said, I now realize that anything new from TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping etc. only pacifies me until ball contact. At that point I realize that my reverse Jim Furyk is still solidly intact.
My dreams about playing in a state amateur event are fading by the day. I can only hope my persistency pays off so I do not embarrass myself in the two member/guests I play in every year.
More to come as the season pushes forward.